Thursday, January 29, 2015
Here we are 4th week of Empire and I thought this was going to be the first week I couldn't watch at 9pm, cause I had a screening I couldn't miss, but then lucky for me they changed the screening time from 7:30pm to 6pm, so I was home with 15 minutes to spare - just enough time to make myself a cup of hot cocoa with brandy and turn on Cookie and them!
Directed by Rosemary Rodriguez
2. I was surprised to see Lucious admit his illness to Anika, but when his hand got too shaky to shave his own face he just owned up to it. I like that she didn't say much, just teared up a bit and reached for the razor to do the job for him.
You could tell that wasn't easy for Lucious. #empire pic.twitter.com/WCA4o9cEd2
— Empire (@EmpireFOX) January 29, 2015
3. This week's episode was all about some super authentic, street rapper with gang ties called Titan. He's on the roster of the rival record company Creedmoor. It was on again off again whether or not they should steal him away - first it was, that doesn't look good with Empire going public; then it was who cares, he's the best, and we want him. Then Titan goes to jail on gun charges and they gotta figure out how to get to him through his people in the hood, a place where bougie Anika had no business being and despite Lucious having her back, they almost get shot in a drive by. Then Cookie dresses up like a Black Muslim to try and get to Titan through his mother, only Lucious has a problem with the Nation of Islam who had something to do with the death of his father. Next, Lucious and Creedmoor Founder, Baretti (Judd Nelson) have a sit down at the club and we find out why there's such bad blood between the two moguls. After which, Lucious visits Titan in prison and gets him to write some lyrics for Empire.
4. Lucious is getting harder and harder on Hakeem trying to get him to focus on his music. I under stand the need for discipline, but this was just down right cold! (Note:video clip will not be visible to those receiving Tinsel & Tine via RSS Feed).
5. Lucious may not be able to control Jamal and is having a hard time getting Hakeem to tow the line, but he's got no problem with Andre who covers for him as an alibi when the police want to know where Lucious was the night of Bunkie's shooting. We also see a flashback of a 7 or 8 year-old Andre hiding a gun for his father in his box of Legos.
#Empire Team Takeem pic.twitter.com/8Pzw35MTqu
— Tinsel & Tine (@tinseltine) January 29, 2015
6. Hakeem and Tianna have made it to the pop-culture couple status where fans are calling them "Takeem", but this may be short lived as Tianna walked into Hakeem's apartment to see him soaking in the tub with Cougar Camilla - "Can't believe you gave your little girlfriend a key to your apartment, amateur mistake". T takes it all in stride, business comes first, her main concern is killing it at the Teen Awards show and sings a fantastic duet with Hakeem. So far, this is actually the first song from the show I would like to hear on the radio. It's called "Keep It Movin" (feat. Serayah McNeill and Yazz).
7. Lucious will constantly tell Cookie to get out of his office, mind her business, acts like he wishes he could get rid of her... but then... when he's being real, he's defending her, impressed with her, still attracted to her, and loves reminiscing with her. The episode ended this week with him calling her baby. Cookie retorted " Baby? You'd better run that by Anika". Lucious responds "Baby Mama then" Lucious continues "You and I always made a real good team. Cookie, "You damn right we did. I make you better, don't forget that."
Empire airs Wednesday nights 9pm. Fox 29 in Philly following American Idol. See you next week! - Le Anne Lindsay, Editor
Tinsel & Tine (Reel & Dine): Philly Film, Food & Events Blog