Sunday, December 14, 2014
Rock's "Top Five" displays the finest strengths we've seen yet from a filmmaker who is clearly becoming more immersed in and thoughtful about his craft. There is a slow growing group of comic voices aspiring to put more soul and feeling into comedies, and Rock joins Louis CK, Lena Dunham and Judd Apatow in that category with this film... READ MORE - Kevin Jagernauth, The Playlist Indiewire.com
This isn't the first praise I've read when it comes to Chris Rock's thoughtful, semi-autobiographical, comedy Top Five (click for trailer) about a successful "Hammy" comedian coming to a crossroads in his life, looking to take a serious left turn with a film about the Haitian slave revolution, all while planning a televised celebrity wedding to a Reality Star (Gabrielle Union) and reluctantly agreeing to a New York Times profile piece being written by a woman he finds interesting (Rosario Dawson).
The below is video I shot during Chris Rock's visit to Philly to introduce #TopFive at the preview screening 12/9/14 (Note: video will not be visible to those receiving Tinsel & Tine via RSS Feed.)
J.B. Smooth plays Andre Allen's (Rock) long time friend/manager with a penchant for thick women. As you can see by this picture of J.B. with his gorgeous wife Shahidah Omar, that running gag must not be based on his actual preference, but it really works in the movie.
|J.B. Smooth & Shahidah Omar|
Top Five does have a number of "R" rated scenes, and that does stand for raunchy, but they are legitimately funny, not gratuitous "Marlon Wayans" type nonsense. And the cameos... the cameos!!! Never thought I'd see Jerry Seinfeld making it rain.
T &T's LAMB Score: 4.5 outta 5
2. Kayne West
4. Salt n Pepa
5. Heavy D
We're all anxiously awaiting Chris Rock's arrival. #TopFiveMovie #RitzFive pic.twitter.com/nCbe4w929m
— Tinsel & Tine (@tinseltine) December 9, 2014
ORIGINAL POST 12/3/14
- “We got so much food in America we're allergic to food. Allergic to food! Hungry people ain't allergic to shit. You think anyone in Rwanda's got a fucking lactose intolerance?!”
- "Every now and then I'm in a situation where someone doesn't recognize me, and I experience racism. Things like not being buzzed into a store or sitting in first class on a plane and having someone ask to see my ticket four times".
- "Comedians tend to find a comfort zone and stay there and do lamer versions of themselves for the rest of their career".
- "Anything I say about women, I try to make sure that at least five or six friends of mine are going through a similar situation. That way I'm not picking on my wife."
- "I'm severely overrated. I'm just above a hack. That should be the name of my new DVD: 'Chris Rock: Slightly Above Hack".
Time: 7:30pm ( I would still get there by 7:15pm)
Place: Regal Cinemas King of Prussia Stadium 16 IMAX and RPX
(300 Goddard Blvd, King of Prussia, PA 19406)
to get notices on Free Screenings, Giveaways and Upcoming Philly Events!
Check Out Tinsel & Tine's
Tinsel & Tine (Reel & Dine): Philly Film, Food & Events Blog