Tinsel & Tine: 84th Annual Oscar Round Up 2012

Monday, February 27, 2012

Tradition may be safe, but not necessarily boring. Billy Crystal was the go to, tried and true choice to host The 84th Annual Academy Awards (9th x) after the Brett Ratner "gay slur"  firing and subsequent pull out of Eddie Murphy as host.

And I think most everyone in the room and in their living rooms agreed it was a good choice. Who doesn't enjoy Crystal's clever little Oscar song, which gently pokes fun at the nominations, offends no one, and uses tunes in the public domain.

And although others now use the gimmick, Crystal was the first to superimpose himself into scenes from the movies being celebrated. This year, even better than the kiss he received from Clooney while lying in a hospital bed; was seeing him eat a piece of poop pie from The Help, and then walk in on the bathroom scene from Bridesmaids. I also loved him in the Tintin wig.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Last year, I went to the Oscar party at The Bryn Mawr Film Institute. It was fun to watch the telecast on the big screen with other film-goers; but I think it's more fun to stay at home and watch with virtual friends.

When you're reading, responding, tweeting and facebook posting during the Red Carpet and Awards, there's never a dull moment:

LeAnne Lindsay (Tinsel & Tine): My favorite part of The Oscars is coming up - the postmortem. It's kinda like people who like to read obits.
· · 11 hours ago

• Barbara Hammond I was very happy it ended with Elizabeth Taylor and not Whitney...
      11 hours ago ·

• LeAnne Lindsay me too
      11 hours ago · · 1

• Denine Gorniak And we get to be reminded of the ones died that we forgot or who we thought had died years ago like Jackie Cooper and peter falk.
      10 hours ago · · 1

• Denine Gorniak Me three!
      10 hours ago ·

• Walton Van Winkle III I an a radical. The last time my favorite movie won the Oscars was Midnight Cowboy. Now the movie I loved won again. Though, I do have to say my second was Hugo. What a difference from the days of Midnight Cowbay.mthe Artist and/or Hugo! How innocent! My heros during that time in between were Felini, Bergman, and Berteluci. My other hero is Pete Weir.
      10 hours ago ·

• LeAnne Lindsay I've never seen Midnight Cowboy. Can you believe I was a year old when it won. The last time I was happy with a Best picture win was Crash in 2005.
      10 hours ago ·

• Walton Van Winkle III O boy. And I wasn't feeling THAT old.
      10 hours ago ·

• Walton Van Winkle III For joyous film, you have to see Avanti with Jack Lemon and Juliet Mills. A Billy Wilder film. You have to see it at least two time to get all the jokes.
      10 hours ago ·

• Walton Van Winkle III I saw Christopher Plummer on Broadway playing Iago to James Earl Jones Othello on Broadway in 1982. Great! He is theater more than film.
      10 hours ago ·

• LeAnne Lindsay Jack Lemon was one of my very favorite actors, but I admit, I don't even know the movie Avanti, will check Netflix. It would have been wonderful to see Plummer & Jones on stage together, even reading the phone book!
Be sure to visit Tinsel & Tine's facebook page for other fun Oscar moments including my Oscar Dinner in honor of The Help - http://www.facebook.com/tinseltine

A lot of people were tweeting and posting about the terrible sound quality of the Oscar telecast.
At first I couldn't hear it, cause my TV is 20 years-old, but eventually it got so bad even my ancient speakers picked up a terrible white noise and reverb. What was that all about!?!

I don't feel we get to see enough celebs on the red carpet. Every news outlet and red carpet host interviews the same few people.  So, out of the slim choices, I chose for my BEST DRESSED:

Rooney Mara this Givenchy gown was made for someone very slender with delicate bone structure. Isaac Mizrahi commented that she was channeling a little Audrey Hepburn and I definitely agree.

Also liked:
Penelope Cruz in Armarni Prive. So feminine and lovely! The color changed in different lighting. I originally thought it was lavender, but onstage it was a grayish blue. Either way it was beautiful and so was Penelope.

Giving good face- fresh makeup and glowing good health - I have to go with Michelle Williams - her dress was fine, but her face was radiant!

I didn't have any Not Best Dressed this Year - adorable Emma Stone could probably have gone with a younger looking dress, but I'm not hating on her choice.

Not in love with a mustachioed Bradley Cooper, but I'm assuming he's in the middle of shooting a movie. I hope.

WINNERS

Big Congrats go out to Octavia Spencer winning Best Supporting Actress
"Thank you Academy for putting me with the hottest guy in the room," she said, referring to the golden Oscar statuette.
Fighting back tears and thanking her family and fellow cast members, she said, "I'm wrapping up, I'm sorry, I am freaking out. Thank you world."

I was also happy about the win for Best Original Screenplay going to Midnight in Paris.  This film is a very clever, romantic fantasy and I'm sorry I never wrote any commentary on it last year.  I did like Billy Crystal's comment about Owen Wilson doing an impression of Woody Allen as a Gentile.

Meryl Streep's gets my vote for best acceptance speech of the night. It set a good tone - balance between Hollywood niceties, genuine emotion, humor, humility and pride.  You can watch the clip on Media-ite.com - Streep's Oscar Speech

Although I only found The Artist to be a pleasantly amusing film.  I do agree with actor James Cromwell's assessment regarding its win:
 What I think it says to a lot of filmmakers is you don't have to make conventional Hollywood films. You can make something off-beat. You know if they had tried to sell that film in Hollywood - a silent, black and white film, with nobody in it that anyone knew; they wouldn't have gotten passed the secretary. But this allows young filmmakers to know that they can create out of their vision and out of their artistry, and it will be accepted by people because we connect to stories, that's how we recognize each other. - interview on Live with Kelly Post-Oscar party
Here's the complete list of Oscar nominated Winners

Phillly Events Calendar

ADD YOUR EVENT for FREE! - which includes SOCIAL MEDIA BLASTS!
tinseltine@gmail.com  Click AGENDA VIEW to see complete list of happenings.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Tickets are on sale now! Get your tickets in minutes on Fandango. Don't Get Sold Out. In theaters 5/1.

Philly Food and Film

Videographer Oliver Gallini 5 min short featuring organic-chemist-turned-chef, Townsend Wentz, who got his start at The Four Seasons Philadelphia.

Food n Film: CHOCOLAT

Food n Film: CHOCOLAT
If you’re a foodie movie lover who saw Lasse Hallström’s The Hundred Foot Journey (see T&T post), this summer you may be wondering what delicious visual journey might be awaiting you in the theater next. Well, how about a look back at his film Chocolat (2000), which stars French actress Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench and Johnny Depp. Hallström’s has a special talent for turning cooking into a dramatic movie journey...READ MORE

Food n Film: THE HUNDRED FOOT JOURNEY

...young Hassan, a soulful-eyed boy with lush, thick eye lashes, places his face into the sea urchin basket, and breathes in the exotic briny scent. He sticks his fingers into the aquatic ooze, takes it to his mouth and is transfixed by the taste. The vendor, oblivious to the thrusting arms of frenzied women, notices the boy and realizes he is the only one worthy of this oceanic prize; he is the one who can “truly taste.” ... READ MORE

Food n Film: JULIE & JULIA

Food n Film: JULIE & JULIA
Personally, I like the unevenness of it, because I fell in love with the post World War II, Parisian sights, sounds, food and romance between Julia and Paul. I always felt a bit jarred back into reality when the scenes returned to Julie's meltdowns and cramped kitchen.READ POST

Food n Film: EAT PRAY LOVE

Food n Film: EAT PRAY LOVE
Six months into my 38th year of this life, I had my first panic attack. I didn't know that's what it was until months later. Symptom after symptom starting piling up on me until there were days I could no longer move my arms or neck. The doctors told me I was suffering from an auto-immune condition that they felt was most likely Lupus. And so began my much deeper journey and exploration into the world of spirit, alternative medicine, yoga, meditation and Eat, Pray, Love. READ POST

Food n Film: TODAY'S SPECIAL

Food n Film: TODAY'S SPECIAL
With a film like this, food plays a main character in the story and I was lucky enough to get an interview with the film's Food Stylist, Janine Kalesis.READ POST

Food n Film: WAITRESS

Food n Film: WAITRESS
In this 2007 film, Keri Russell stars as Jenna - a desolate diner waitress seeking solace in the art of pie-making. Trapped in an unhappy marriage, she’s eager to escape her husband and her small-town hell and sets about to make a run for it by entering an out of town pie baking contest. READ POST

Food n Film: BABETTE'S FEAST

Food n Film: BABETTE'S FEAST
Those of us in attendance were not only given the opportunity to see Babette's Feast, the Oscar winning, Danish film, considered one of the all-time great "food films"; we also got to taste Babette's menu! READ POST

Google Adsense

Philly's Prince Theater Has Been Rescued

Blog Archive Date Order

IRON MAN BIONICS

15 Top Food in Film Flicks

15 Top Food in Film Flicks
Cozy Quilt of Food Movies, we'll add more patches as T &T discovers more films where food plays the biggest "roll"

AFRICAN AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL RELEASING

AFRICAN AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL RELEASING
25 TO LIFE chronicles the story of William Brawner, a young man who kept his HIV positive status a secret for over twenty-five years. Now, William seeks redemption from his promiscuous past as he embarks on a new phase of life with his wife who is HIV Negative. We journey with William and his family as he struggles to carve out an open and honest future. 25 TO LIFE is supported by Sundance Institute, Cinereach, The GoodPitch, IFP, Firelight Media Lab, and Tribeca All Access and is the 2014 American Black Film Festival Grand Prize Jury winner. "25 to Life" Opens December 1, 2014 - World AIDS Day

Philadelphia Magazine » Blog » Foobooz

Ozery Bakery Morning Rounds & Uniquely Greek Feta Spreads

Ozery Bakery Morning Rounds & Uniquely Greek Feta Spreads
Tinsel & Tine got an offer to review two nutritious, delicious, free from artificial preservative products at the same time. Products which just so happened to compliment each other, so I decided to do a combo post. READ POST

Tinsel & Tine on Paper.li

Tinsel & Tine on Paper.li
Really love this platform, you feature your stuff and other people's stuff you follow, and it all configures like the front page of a newspaper. Click to see what I mean

Visit Our YouTube Channel

Visit Our YouTube Channel
View Q & A's with visiting Filmmakers to Philly

Cross Content Blogs

LAMB

Large Association of Movie Blogs

Tinsel & Tine was nominated for a VBA

bloglovin

bloglovin

group of 10,000 women bloggers dedicated to supporting one another by leaving comments

Women Online

The Blogstress Network

The Blogstress Network
Female Bloggers Unite

Contributor from 2010 - 2012

Listed on

Movie & Film Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Add website

About This Blog

is about discovering what I find pleasing in screening & eating - in case you missed it, the name is a play on Tinseltown using the Tines of a Fork.

Feel free to send me info on a film or new restaurant you'd like me to highlight.
-tinseltine@gmail.com

Will there ever be a cap on movie prices?

Will we one day pay $20 a pop?

Why don't we pay on a scale?

A crap movie like everything Adam Sandler has ever done should cost about $4.50.
Big action movies like"Lord of the Rings", "Iron Man," "Transformers" are worth $10.
Woody Allen movie or something like "Silver Linings Playbook" $6-$7.
A chick flick or light comedy $5.75 and most Indie Films $5.25.

You could even do it by seasons - all summer block busters from May to August - $10
Sept - November 15th $3.50 - $4
Back to $10 for Thanksgiving and Christmas etc...

Or you can do it by A Actors ($9 - $10), B Actors ($6 - $7) TV actors on the big screen ($3.50 - $4)

Surely I'm not the first person to realize this makes sense. Has it been voted on in the Motion Picture Industry and then vetoed? If so, why?

Share it